6. I can meet you at eight o'clock; _____ you can call for me.
A. incidentally B. actually
C. alternatively D. accordingly
[答案] C. alternatively
[注释]alternatively (=as an alternative) 作为一个替代办法：If however is used, but is not needed; or alternatively omit however. (如果使用however,就不需要but;或者作为一个替代办法省去however。)
[注意]alternately 和 alternatively的区别:alternately (交替地) ：At a Chinese dinner, the guests and the hosts sit alternately at a round table.
7. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
A. instants B. instances
C. instincts D. intelligences
[答案] C. instincts.
[注释] instinct 天生的本领。instant n. 瞬间, 时刻; adj. 立即的, 直接的。如：instant coffee 速溶咖啡; instant food (s) 方便食品。例如：Spaceships are stocked with a variety of instant foods. (宇宙飞船上备有各种个样的方便食品。)
8. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
A. rewards B. awards
C. grants D. presents
[答案] B. awards.
[注释]awards sb. sth. 授于某人某物。如：They awarded John the first prize. (他们授于约翰一等奖。)
9. The old lady can't hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over B. get off C. hold back D. hold up
[答案] A. get over [
10. Jim's plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out B. gave away
C. gave off D. fell through
[答案] D. fell through，未能实现